The Raspberry Pi has a new rival, the more powerful but slightly pricier Asus Tinker Board.
The Asus Tinker Board has a faster processor and more memory than the Raspberry Pi 3, but sells for £55 ($68), considerably more than the £33 or $35 Pi 3.
Asus’ board has a quad-core 1.8GHz Rockchip processor, compared to the quad-core 1.2GHz Broadcom processor in the Raspberry Pi 3. The computer also has 2GB of memory, double that of the Pi 3.
One online benchmark claims the Tinker Board is almost two times faster than the Pi 3 in Geekbench, with Asus’ offering racking up a score of 3925 compared to the Pi’s 2092, as well as being faster when reading from and writing to storage.
While the Pi 3’s processor is based on a 64-bit architecture, compared to the 32-bit based architecture in the Tinker Board, the Tinker Board’s ARM Cortex A17-based chipset has been shown to outperform the Pi 3’s ARM Cortex A53-based chipset in certain tests.
Features & Functionality
ASUS Tinker Board offers class-leading performance, robust multimedia support, IoT connectivity, and enhanced DIY design and compatibility with a wide range of leading SBC chassis and accessories. The result is a near credit card sized computer that offers people the freedom to tinker and apply their ingenuity to create platforms for a wide variety of uses.
Key features of Tinker Board include:
- CPU: 1.8GHz Rockchip RK3288 SoC quad-core processor
- GPU: Mali-T764 GPU Video:
- HD/UHD video playback support – including H.264/H.265 decoding Audio: 192kHz/24-bit audio support
- Memory: 2GB of dual-channel LPDDR3
- Storage: Micro SD(TF) slot features SD 3.0 support
- Connectivity: Bluetooth° 4.0 + EDR and on-board 802.11b/g/n WiFi
- Networking: 1Gb Ethernet
- Ports: (4) USB2.0 ports, (1) HDMI 1.4 out port, (1) 3.5mm audio jack
- I/O Ports: (1) 40-pin GPIO interface header, (1) 15-pin MIPI DSI, (1) 15-pin MIPI CSI, (1) 2-pin contact point for PWM and S/PDIF signals
- Power: Suggested 5V/2A AC adaptor via the micro-USB port (power adaptor not included)
- OS: (Debian-based Linux) & Android Support
- Dimensions/Weight: 85.60mm x 56mm x 21mm, 45g without included heatsink